Saturday, August 16, 2008

Just being simple

Me (Danny) at the Grand Canyon hike 2006

Ever since I watched the show "Experiment Alaska" and the more I spend time hiking, camping and just being more outdoor with nature, the more the outdoor calls me back. Lately, I have been having such a craving to go totally basic and primal. What I mean about that is living life down to the simple basics. Spending time disconnected with society and living your life, where you have to be self sustained. Hunt, fish for your food, cut your wood for fire, find water, fix or adapt your shelter, being either a cabin or tent. You work to live. At the end of the day you will have something to show for. If you caught fish, it is you that did that. In today's society we have lost touch with ourselves and are so connected that we have forgotten how to live our lives.

The craving of going back to nature for an extend period of time is eating at me. It feels like a pain on my side I can't get rid off. I have never felt this intense desire to be out there and being disconnected with the world. Living life in a very simple way. What are you capable of? Can you survive out there in the wild? Everything we have today is basically given to us. We live our life simply but yet complicated.

If I don't get into Experiment Alaska show, I can guarantee you that I will, in 2010, either take a 6 month leave, or quite my job and do the thru hike on the PCT (Pacific Crest Trail). A 2,650 mile hike that should take me about 5 1/2 month to do. A hike from the Mexican border and California, through the Navajo dessert, through the sierra, into Oregon and into Washington into the Canadian border.

I have been in outings on my own where I come back to civilization and the tremendous amount of sensory is so great, I feel overwhelmed. It is huge sensory overload, the people, flashing light....etc It is such an interesting sensation when you come back from the basics.

Just thinking about our lives here.....

I would be interested to see what other people think about this.... or am I the only one feeling this one?





3 comments:

Unknown said...

I feel the same way! Good luck on your journey. Just follow your heart....you will find your true love, and your way home. There is nothing better than being in love with "Mother Nature."

Big Jay said...

I am amazed at how you're able to just disconnect and be out there, just existing in nature. It's fantastic. I really hope you get this opportunity with Experiment Alaska.

- Barbara

Unknown said...

Thanks Barb,
The thing is that having disconnected before I now how liberating it can be. I have been disconnected here and there. One great example back in the days where cell phone was not as popular like in 2000, Most people did not bring thier cell phone to the bike ride across Iowa, so we just simple did without email and phone call and all the modern luxury. You just bike, eat and sleep. LIfe become so basic and simple. You just rely on yourself. Coming back to civilization become a total sensory overload. It is hard to explain.