Friday, January 18, 2008

Waimea Canyon


If you know me well, you know that I love the Grand Canyon hike. I have done it 4 times already. I have now discovered this little gem of a Canyon that I must do. WOW.

Here is a description, taken from a site on Hawaii hikes

Waimea Canyon is the largest canyon in the Pacific and truly a dramatic sight to behold. The
canyon measures 10 miles long, 1 mile wide, and more than 3,500-feet deep. It was carved thousands of years ago by rivers and floods that flowed from Mount Waialeale's summit. The lines in the canyon walls depict different volcanic eruptions and lava flows that have occurred over the centuries. Even though smaller than the Grand Canyon of Arizona, Waimea Canyon rivals the beauty. Numerous lookouts and hikes offer terrific views of every aspect of this natural wonder.

No comments: