Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Leadville Colorado Trail Marathon

On The trail of the 2nd Toughest marathon in the Nation

Today July 11th was the big day for the 2nd toughest marathon. The temperature was perfect, the start was around 46 degrees. I have to say it was the toughest thing I have ever done. It was extremely difficult. For me it was more of the terrain then the altitude. The start of the marathon was at 10,200 up to 13,500 ft of elevation. The altitude did not effect me at all, since I have been in Colorado for a week before the marathon and got acclimated to the elevation. The toughest part of the marathon was from mile 10 to mile 13, climbing 3,000 feet in 3 miles. It took me 1 hour and 30 minutes just to do 3 miles. Reaching the summit of Mosquito pass as a storm was passing by. Going down, was much faster but more dangerous.. since the trail was littered by so many rocks. You mis step on one of them and you are down. I feel twice and almost sprain my ankle. A record number of people dropped out. Only 250 people ran this marathon.
This marathon was not only physcially challenging but also mentally challenging.. since you had to have a strong mindset and tremendous will power to continue. Storms started approaching one after another as I was running the second half of the marathon. Towards the last 6 miles.. I was alone. No one in front of me or behind me. On the last 2 miles, I finally approached Leadville and was very happy to run on solid ground. I was so surprised as I started to sprint the last two miles at 8 min mile pace. I can see the Finish line, it looked so lonely in the distance. As I approached the finish line, 8 hours later... I can hear the announcer say my name.

Can't believe, I surivived the 2nd toughest marahon in the nation and to drive the next day to Chicago, a 16 hour drive.

Whew... scractch that one off my bucket list.

1 comment:

friar120 said...

Danny: I took hundreds of photos of the race on assignment for the local newspaper, the Herald Democrat, and have them on my website: www.sandrahalverstadt.ifp3.com. Myatomi@gmail.com Thought you might enjoy looking at them. I have almost all of the runners going and coming in with some nice landscapes in between.
Sandi Halverstadt, photographer