Tuesday, May 20, 2008

New Outdoor Gadget just acquired

Ok, some of you might know me as a gadget freak, but if it simplifies your life and can possible save your life, then why not.
I just acquired a great GPS for hiking. The Garmin Colorado 400t which contains the entire USA TOPO map and trails


Garmin Colorado 400t
Garmin's Colorado is a rugged, waterproof outdoor handheld GPS that can be used for hiking, boating, camping, in the car, or Geocaching.

I also acquired the SPOT, which can save my life. Used in case of an emergency I can click a button and can be rescued via by my GPS coordinates that the SPOT would provide the rescue service. http://www.findmespot.com/Home.aspx

Another neat feature is while hiking I can activate a button and it will update a google map that I can provide my friend and they can track exactly where I am every 10 minutes.
According to the website

TRACK PROGRESS: Also known as SPOTcastingSM, this feature allows friends and family to follow your progress in real time using your password, or to save waypoints so you can review your entire route at a later date.

How It Works:

Once activated, SPOT acquires and sends your GPS coordinates to your SPOT account every 10 minutes. Anyone with access to your account information can log on and view your route, complete with virtual views provided by Google Maps™. To continue tracking on longer journeys, the SPOTcastingSM function must be re-activated every 24 hours.

I am all set for the Century ride in Lake Tahoe and my Hiking Adventure in Desolation wilderness. More later.

No comments: