Monday, July 7, 2008

Sunday Bike Ride on I & M Trail Part 1

Well, it was a great Sunday for a great bike ride. We drove and met at the Parking lot at the Channahan State Park near the I & M Trail. It was fun, beautiful and felt great.
My Mistake #1 - Don't take a racing road bike all carbon fiber on a crushed limestone trail. I explained later.
We roded about 18 miles and stopped for lunch somewhere in Joilet. We continue to cycling into Lockport where we lost the trail. At this point, we decided to head back. We went back from where we came from and went ahead. Suddenly my bike slipped from underneath me as I was still clipped on the bike, my bike wend up in the air, I fell on my right arm as I am sliding and as I was sliding my right kneed got the worst bang. I laid on the ground for about 3 seconds trying to absorb what has happened. "Did I actually get into an accident?" Wow, did I just dislocated my right shoulder. I got up, and Tina was behind me and saw the whole thing and said I really did a complete flip and thought I broke up arm. My left knee skin was scrapped off like grating cheese on a grater. I found it surprising to see a big hole on my knee, where I can see my bone or cartilage. Blood was flowing like a waterfall. I was able to tolerate the pain and decided to cycle back to the street and call an Ambulance. I think I was about a mile away. I laid down, called 911 and they came to look at it.
They asked if I needed the hosipital, so I asked what could would that do? Basically the same thing they would do is clean it up and let me go home. I did not need any stitches because there was not enough skin to cover the dime size puncture.
At this point, we decided to bike back to the car. I actually thought I could bike back... but decided that I will go with the ambulance so they call a taxi to take my back to the parking lot.

Waited an over for the taxi driver.... ugh, it was so long. I was no longer in pain, but shoulder hurt. For a 20 minute ride to the parking lot to meet up with my friend was $52. Holy, very expensive. Could not believe it. My friends were nice enough wait for me, But I felt an overwhelming guilt that I ruined their time and apologies for this. I really felt bad about it and still do. I hope they are not upset or disappointed with me. I love them to death and consider them one of my greatest friend. Such wonderful friends to have. I am blessed in that sense.

I drove back home, and coming back My knee started to be in big pain. Went to Osco to get Peroxide, Motrin and Neosporin. I got home and cleaned it up good. It was soooo painful.
I made an appointment for the Dr. Today at 1:45pm to make sure I am ok. I am now more concern about my Shoulder. I have the bike across Iowa in two weeks and hope I will be ok by then. Ugh.

Happier times
My good friends, Tina, Gato and Natalie

No comments: