Thursday, September 11, 2008

Grand Canyon Hike to Ribbon Falls

Ribbon Falls
On the next day Rosy decided that she needed to take care of her toes and will just take it easy. So Michelle and I decided to proceed with our adventure and find Ribbon Falls. We went to the Canteen to ask how far is the hike. Michelle and I brought some essential items that we felt that we might need in a small backpack each. Just in case she brought a headlamp, which I thought was very smart to bring, just in case. According to the women at the Canteen, it was about a 6 mile hike or so. The hike takes us to several bridges, stream crossings, steep inclines, and rock scrambling up little hills to get to it. Not considering the 110 degree of heat, it was a pleasant hike. Michelle never ceases to impress me with her great attitude and being such a great hiking partner. We get to Ribbon Falls after what I think is about 7 miles of hiking. What a view!
By this time, I was starving and ate a whole bag of Beef Jerky. The waterfall was so inviting we took our shoes off and dipped it in the pool. It was refreshing and just what we needed. After we had our break we went up the side of the waterfall and behind it.
After all these years of hiking, I learned an interesting phenomenon, that all hiker time reference are subjective. If a hiker say, oh its a 10 min hike, it could be 20 min or an hour hike. Maybe I never realized this because most of my hikes have been isolated areas where I never saw other hiker or never asked.

As a precautionary measure we assessed our water situation and determine that we needed more water, luckily I brought my Iodine tablets, which now comes in handy. As we hiked out, we took a nice steady pace. About 3 women hiking came along on their way to the North Rim with barely anything and they were running out of water, so I supplied them with Iodine tablet and told them that there was stream not to far away.
At this point, I was thinking how my sister was doing and what she was doing. Was she able to cook something in the stove?

We finally arrived at our campsite and my sister was there. She was just resting, taking a dip at the creek, sleeping and reading her book. It was a good day for all of us.
We plan on getting up early the next morning to begin our hike out of the Canyon about 3:30am. That is way too early for me, but the majority won and I lost...haha.




















Here is a great picture of Michelle writing in her journal during the twilight hours using a slow exposure on the camera

No comments: